Monday, July 01, 2013

Is It Time To Wash My Hair Again?!?

As this celebratory weekend comes to an end, it only means one thing... shower time. Ugh. It's my least favourite time ever. I know I'm not alone here. I know some of you feel my pain. There's nothing worse than lounging around after dinner getting ready to indulge in some terrible reality tv (I'm looking at you, Bachelorette), and then realizing, "damn it, I have to shower tonight". Actually there is something worse: showering in the morning.




Showering in the morning has become my nemesis. It didn't used to be that way. I used to shower every single day before school/work. And then I started to realize I was wasting precious sleeping in time and also drying out my hair. Now before you start thinking I'm some disgusting grease ball, when I say showering I really mean washing my hair. I still have quick body showers every day almost every day but I only wash my hair 2 or 3 times a week. The process of having a whole shower is just so time consuming and not good for your hair (which is just a bonus for me cuz really I'm just lazy).

This is my face when I know it's shower time. Also, I'm not wearing makeup. It's ok. Don't be scared.




Showering at night still has it's problems. For example, if you have curly hair like me, you know you're gonna have to shower hours before you go to bed because there's no way in hell you're gonna go to bed with wet hair. You will wake up looking like a tornado went through your room while you were asleep. You're also not going to blow dry your hair because said tornado will be back, only this time he'll bring his friends humidity and frizz. It's not a good combo, trust me. The only other option is to let your mop head air dry. When I say it will take hours to dry, I'm not even kidding.




The good thing about night showering is that you only have to do half the work. No makeup, no picking out a work-appropriate-yet-still-stylish outfit, no doing your hair except for throwing some gunk in it. The gunk I like to use is Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly Tousling Styling Creme. This holds the curls without making them crunchy and also keeps frizz at bay. I also like to spray my hair with Live Clean Exotic Nectar Argan Oil Leave-In Conditioner Spray. I don't really know how much this works because I have a little trick, but it smells nice and it leaves my hair feeling very soft.


Wanna know my trick? I don't wash the conditioner completely out of my hair. You might be thinking, "Amanda, you are disgusting. You don't shower and you leave products in your hair? You probably look like a greaseball". I don't blame you. I would be thinking the same thing if I were you. But don't knock it til you try it. Now if you have fine or thin hair, I definitely do not recommend this trick. But if your nickname growing up was something like Frizz Head or Mop Head or Rats Nest, this is for you. Us curly haired girls need all the help we can get in the moisture department.

Speaking of moisture, the only other two products I use at night (besides deodorant, c'mon now) are moisturizers. For my face, I use Oil of Olay Moisturizing Cream for Sensitive Skin. I don't have sensitive skin, I could probably wash my face with dirt and it would be fine. I think this is compensation for having to deal with bad hair. I like to use this moisturizer because of how it feels. It goes on very smoothly and doesn't feel tacky or sticky. 

For the rest of my body, I slather it with Vaseline Total Moisture Cocoa Radiant. This isn't my favourite moisturizer but I like the smell. It can leave your skin feeling a bit damp and clammy for the rest of the night. I slosh it on anyways to keep my skin from becoming scaly and peely (especially in those spots where my sunscreen apparently didn't reach. oops).


Then I throw on some pjs (obv), grab a snack, and settle in to watch train wrecks that make me feel better about my life (don't lie, you know that's why you watch those shows too).








No comments:

Post a Comment