Monday, June 24, 2013

Eyelash Extensions

So let's talk extensions. I'm talking eyelash extensions. This is something I've thought a lot about. I used to wear strip falsies. You know, for New Years and my birthday and such events. Looking back, I looked like a fool. Nothing natural about them at all. Just big gobs of black spikes on my eyeballs. Here I am with my not-so-subtle look.




I hated the whole strip lash process. I didn't trim them so they poked into my eyeballs. I used too much glue and you could see it. If one corner popped off (which happened frequently), I squeezed some more glue in there and shoved it back on. I didn't clean them properly. I ripped them off at the end of the night. All in all, a terrible experience and a terrible look.

I gave up on lashes for years and figured I was just stuck with the little stubs I was born with. I starting curling my real lashes, which I never did before, and I was happy with that for a while. Then when I tried Maybelline Falsies, I loved it so much that I was actually ok with having stubs. With a curler and some mascara, they weren't so stubby after all.




This is what I thought were long eyelashes. These just look like slightly longer stubs with tons of mascara scraped on them. I still had eyelash envy. I would scour celebrity photos obsessing over their long lashes. I was amazed at how long theirs were. I legitimately thought that other people just had amazing natural lashes and I just got the short end of the stick.

Little did I know it was all thanks to lash extensions. It blew my mind when I first heard about this little miracle. I thought it was heaven sent. Long luscious lashes just glued onto your own and they stayed in for weeks?! Sign me up! I was all gung-ho about it. Then my friend got them... and hated them. Then another friend got them... and hated them. Then I started reading reviews online... and people hated them. Tales of horror filled my mind: my own eyelashes falling out, burning eyes, itchy eyes, blindness. I imagined it all. And then you add the price on top of that. And then the price for fillers that you need every month. What started out as one of the best discoveries ever soon turned into a huge letdown. It was back to the drawing board for me, which meant learning how to love my little stubs again.

Then one night while browsing the makeup aisles in Walmart, I walked past the false lashes section. And then I turned around and walked back over. And then I remembered my past experiences with them and kept on walking. And then I thought, it was years ago, maybe they have new improved ones so I turned around again and started looking. As I was reliving the head-shaking missteps of my past lash adventures, my bestie, Cait, walks over and looks at the package in my hand. She says, "Those are the lashes from the MMandL video. They're supposed to stay in for a few weeks." Now, if you don't know who MMandL are, click that link and go obsessively watch all of their videos like I did when I first discovered them. But read the rest of this first!




My first reaction was disbelief, but then I started to feel the hope creep in. I thought and thought and thought about it. Could Walmart lashes really be that great? Am I just another fool falling for some marketing gimmick? Should I wait and do my research at home before buying them? Nope, not today. My impulsive-Walmart-shopper alter ego took over and I scooped those babies up. The good thing is they are less than $10(!!) so if they sucked, I was ok with that. I was planning on trying them out right away, but I was exhausted when I got home and fell right into bed. I decided to wait until the weekend when I could dedicate a good chunk of time into the process. I thought about them constantly for the next three days. Just sitting there on my dresser, waiting for me to try them, taunting me almost. 

The big day finally came... I tried them... and... I can't decide if I like them!


My first thought was holyyyy, I have longggg lashes! I was so excited! But then I noticed that they didn't feel that sturdy. I thought maybe the glue hadn't settled yet. But then hours later, they still felt that way and when I lightly grabbed one, it fell right out! 

I think the problem was that I was so afraid of using too much glue that I didn't use enough. So I pulled off a couple loose ones, dunked them in more glue, and reattached them. I decided to wait until the morning to see how they would hold up overnight.



I was surprised and delighted to find that they were all still intact! My hope was glimmering again. The only problem now was that when I put my glasses on, they were way too long and poked into my lenses. Ughhh, damn you, first world problem. So I curled them. And I didn't like them as much. I felt like they were a little less natural looking.



Note: There's a weird shadow on my face from my iphone. Just ignore that. It's fine.

So overall, I do like them. The only thing I don't like is that they still poke my glasses and they're not as natural looking as I would like.




I'll do another update to let you know how long they lasted for. I'm going to keep them in for as long as I can just to see if they live up to their promise.




Have you ever tried lashes?? Let me know how your experience was and recommend any that worked for you!






No comments:

Post a Comment